Forest workers discovered a buried male body in the morning hours on Thursday, March 03, 1994. The site is located in a forest area of Idar-Oberstein, about 2 km from the built-up district of Georg-Weierbach. The dead man was in a military sleeping bag, which was also packed in standard blue rubbish bags. During the autopsy, the coroners found that the unknown man was killed by massive external violence. The investigations conducted by the criminal police revealed that the person was apparently in a non-sedentary milieu during his lifetime. It can be assumed that he was also in the Idar-Oberstein area for some time. Shoes and a jacket they found were purchased there.
Reconstruction of the victim
In September 2020 after 26 years, investigators clarified the identity of a man who was found in March 1994 in a wooded area in a district of Idar-Oberstein. Ryszard Gorczyca, who was born in Poland and was 46 at the time, was living in Idar-Oberstein at the time, but also stayed in Poland for a while, and apparently fell victim to a violent crime. The Kripo now wants to clear up the background of the crime. The deceased lived in Gdansk until 1989 and then moved with his family to the Idar-Oberstein area. At that time, thousands of repatriates from Poland came to Germany. Many of them settled in the Hunsrück. The officials also assume that Gorczyca was in Idar-Oberstein and Poland in the last two years before his death.
Ryszard Gorczyca was about 168 cm tall, weighed 50 to 55 kg, had dark blonde hair and at times wore a beard.
According to their investigations so far, the criminal investigation department assumes that Ryszard Gorczyca was not killed at the place where his body was found. Presumably the body was brought to the forest near Georg-Weierbach by vehicle. The investigators assume that at least two people brought the body there and buried it.
Wanted Notes: In solving the crime, the Trier criminal investigation department asks the population for assistance and asks:
- Who knew Ryszard Gorczyca in the photo?
- Who can provide information about the victim Ryszard Gorczyca?
- Who can provide information about other people with whom the victim might have been in contact?
- Who can provide information on the last whereabouts or general whereabouts or lifestyle of the deceased?
- Who can give information about the described spade?
- Who can provide information about the sleeveless vest?
- Date found: March 3, 1994
- Place found: Idar-Oberstein, Germany
- Race: Caucasian, probably from Balkan or Southeastern Europe
- Gender: Male
- Age: 36-45
- Height: 168 cm
- Weight: 50-55 kg
- Eye Color: Unknown
- Hair Color: Brown
- Distinguishing Marks: Upper jaw prosthesis manufactured in Eastern Europe or in the former GDR. Tattoos: cross surrounded with sun rays symbolically represented by lines on his chest. Devil’s face on left forearm. Snake winding around a sword and the word “love” on the inside of the left forearm.
- Estimated Date of Dead: Between October 1993 and March 1994
- Clothing: Thick lined jacket. Thick greenish sleeveless vest (bomber jacket style). Light long-sleeved shirt. Undershirt. Dark corduroy trousers with belt. Light socks, black loafers with tab zipper.
- Jewelry: Unknown
- Personal Items: In the vicinity of where the victim was found, the officers found two spades that were believed to have been used to bury the body. One spade was very noticeable. He had a red spade leaf. There were bits of white and silver paint on the metal handle. A black plastic handle with the brand name “Lasher” stamped on it was attached to this spade. The second spade had a wooden handle. The spade blade was originally attached with seven rivets, two of which were missing.
- Dentals: Upper jaw prosthesis manufactured in Eastern Europe or in the former GDR.
- Fingerprints: Unknown
- DNA: Unknown
If you have any information please contact
- Agency: Polizeipräsidium Trier
- Phone Number: +49 (0)651 9779-2114